The timeline for elections will generally line up with the above. Expect announcements of the specific dates and how to declare candidacy at the beginning of each semester. See below for the positions available, number of slots, when each can be run for, and the rules governing the elections.
The Student Government includes the following elected representatives:
- One representative of each section in the first-year class.
- Four representatives of the second-year class.
- Four representatives of the third-year class.
- Two representatives of the LL.M. program.
- One representative of the S.J.D. program
- One representative of students who have transferred to HLS following their first year in law school.
During the fall semester of each academic year, the Student Government holds an election for the first-year section representatives, L.L.M. program representatives, and any representative positions unfilled in the spring election.
Midway through the spring semester of each academic year, the Student Government holds an election for all of its other elected positions.
In addition to the rules of elections laid out in the constitution and bylaws, the Election Commission has created the following supplementary rules.
5. An act by any person that (1) benefits a candidate(s) and (2) would violate the election rules or bylaws if done by the beneficiary candidate(s), may be attributed to the beneficiary candidate(s) if the beneficiary candidate(s) could have reasonably prevented the act.