BSA Application Process
The Board of Student Advisers is an organization of second- and third-year law students who serve as teaching assistants in the first-year Legal Research and Writing course at HLS, act as advisers and mentors for 1L students, and run the Ames Competition. The BSA therefore seeks students who are passionate about academics, involved in the HLS community, willing mentors, and excited about the prospect of joining the BSA. Becoming a member of the BSA is a two-year commitment. Students are eligible to apply to the BSA during the spring of their 1L year. Dual degree students are welcomed to apply in the spring of their 1L year. Transfer students are welcomed to apply in the spring of their 2L year. While students may apply to the BSA, Law Review, and the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau (HLAB) simultaneously, if a student is selected for more than one organization, he or she must commit to only one organization.
- February 14: Joint Info Session with HLR and HLAB
- February 28: BSA Open House | 6-8 pm | BSA office
- March 1: BSA Application Goes Live Here (see below)
- March 19: BSA Application Closes at 11:59 PM EST
- March 20 – April 2: Interviews, including mock student conferences, take place
- Mid-July: Notification of decisions
How to Apply
- STEP 1: Complete the BSA registration form
- STEP 2: Download and complete the 2023-24 BSA Application and Mock Student Work Assignment
- STEP 3: Submit application according to directions in application packet by 11:59 PM EST on March 19
- STEP 4: Schedule interviews and attend interviews
Application Materials – Due March 19th at 11:59 PM EST
- Registration Form
- 2023-24 BSA Application
- Statement of Interest
- Optional Statement
- Interests and Extracurricular Activities List
Due at Interview: March 20 – April 2
Interviews & Mock Student Conferences: March 20 – April 2
- You will participate in two in-person interviews.
- Each interview will include: (1) a mock student conference based on the mock student work assignment in the application materials; and (2) a typical interview question & answer period.
If you have questions, please contact Sofia Panarella at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ronan Clague at email@example.com