French Conversation Groups
Many of you might have learned French before–maybe because you had to in school, or because you thought it would be fun (really?)–but haven’t spoken in years and feel a bit rusty. This is why we have set up French conversation groups bringing together both native and non-native French speakers, to give you an opportunity to practice on a regular basis, with people from similar levels, but also with native who might be able to help you. If you’re interested please sign up here!
We know not all of you will make it to our French conversation groups, or maybe some of you are really serious about learning and practicing French and will need more help and ressources? This is why on this page we compile a number of helpful ressources to complement our conversation groups or go further.
Ressources to learn French on your own
“Learn French with Vincent” is one of the most popular YouTube channels to learn French. You’ll find plenty of videos addressing various aspect of the French language, including some dedicated to beginners, so take a look!
The Duolingo podcasts are also a good place to start. We know people who relied on them to learn French, so give it a try!
Ressources to practice French on your own
Free BBC ressources to learn and practice French.
This is not a paid endorsement, but many people have relied on the App Duolingo to learn or practice their French.
If you want to read the news in French, here are some of the newspapers or news stations you can look at:
- France: Le Monde; France Culture; France TV Info
- Belgium: RTBF
- Switzerland: Le Temps; Radio Télévision Suisse
- Canada: Radio Canada; La Presse
- Lebanon: L’Orient-Le Jour;
- Morocco: Le Matin
- Algeria: El Watan
- Ivory Coast: Ivorian.net;
We also recommend the excellent French international newspaper Courrier International. On their website you will find articles from newspaper all over the world covering global news but translated in French. Great selection and great translation, we highly recommend it!
You’re more of a fan of podcasts? Take a look at this list of 10 podcasts to help you learn French
Want to watch TV shows or movies in French? There is a wide variety of TV shows and movies in French from various Francophone countries, we recommend the following ones:
- Au service de la France (“A Very Secret Service”), a comedy-drama series following French intelligence officers in the 1960s;
- Le bureau des légendes (“The Bureau”), this is still about the French intelligence services but the show is more of a political thriller, quite good and addictive, although it might be a bit more difficult to follow than Au service de la France depending on your level;
- Dix pour cent (“Call my agent”), a comedy-drama TV show about a talent agency, it has received great reviews (100% on rotten tomatoes!);
- La fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain (“Amélie”), this is a classic and you’ve probably watched it in English, but it’s worth watching it in French, also you never get sick of it;
- L’auberge espagnole (“Potluck”)
- Le diner de con (“The Dinner Game”)
- Intouchables (“The Intouchables”)
- Perspepolis, a beautiful animated movie based on Marjane Satrapi’s autobiographic graphic novel describing her life during the Islamic revolution in Iran;
Get a Taste of Francophone Culture
Immerse yourself in French culture, by the French Embassy to the United States’ Cultural Services.
If you have questions on how to learn and practice french, or suggestions as to good ressources, please shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us through the form below!